Friday, August 19, 2005

Turkey Shoot

This week Roger Ebert published a list of the worst movies he's ever had to review, which includes a section entitled "Sex, romance, music, drama and other crap".

I'm relieved how few of these I have actually seen, and I don't think I was about to rush out to catch The Dukes of Hazzard anyway. No place for Waterworld?

I'm not saying Betty Blue was a classic of European Cinema, but it was something of a rite of passage for me at the time. And if either The Blue Lagoon or The Usual Suspects appeared on TV again soon I'd watch them with the sort of glee I greet The Wild Geese each time it comes round.

Time then for my own list of the twenty best films I've watched on the big and small screens since this blog migrated to blogger.com at the end of last year. (In no particular order.)

Intacto
Last Life in the Universe
A Tale of Two Sisters
Spirited Away
Sideways
Shaolin Soccer
The Incredibles
Violent Cop
Maria Full of Grace
Solas
Festen
Team America: World Police
Tempus Fugit
Closer
Kung-Fu Hustle
The House of Flying Daggers
Rashômon
L'Appartement
Downfall
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

No comments: